A takeaway owner has told how he feared for his life when he chased down a gang of men rampaging through Liverpool and attacking anyone who said they were Christian.
Edris Nosrati was on his way home from a night out with friends when he saw the trio attacking a white man walking with his girlfriend.
“Finally I got the mobile and gave it to the police.” The evidence and Mr Nosrati’s testimony was instrumental in prosecuting the attackers, who were jailed for religiously and racially aggravated assault and affray at Liverpool Crown Court on Wednesday.
Amin Mohmed, 24, of Perendale Rise in Bolton, was sentenced to 42 weeks imprisonment and Mohammed Patel, 20, of Eastbank Street in Bolton was handed the same term in a young offenders’ institution.
“I decided to go in and do something by myself,” Mr Nosrati said, describing how he launched himself at Faruq in an attempt to grab the phone.
“He punched me in the face but eventually I got him in a headlock and down on the floor.
After watching helpless as they targeted about six people, the police arrived but one of the attackers who had been filming the assaults on his phone attempted to evade officers.
Mr Nosrati said the man, since identified as 19-year-old Faruq Patel, appeared “really relaxed playing with his mobile” but appeared to be deleting incriminating videos.
The teenager shared a photo of the alleged attacker online and described how he attempted to remove her headscarf before hitting her.
Now the man in the image has identified himself on Twitter and is hitting back at the allegations after the picture went viral.
“I wanted to defend him so I went up and asked ‘why are you doing this?
’” the 35-year-old told “Then they asked if I was a Muslim.
Terrorists have previously demanded the declaration from hostages before mass executions and attacks, and the demand made Mr Nosrati fear he was dealing with Isis supporters.