San Diego International Airport's expansion and enhancement program for Terminal 2 was dubbed "The Green Build".
Convair used the airport for test and delivery flights from 1935 to 1995.
The Army Air Corps took over the field in 1942, improving it to handle the heavy bombers being manufactured in the region.
The airport was the first federally certified airfield to serve all aircraft types, including seaplanes.
The original terminal was on the northeast side of the field, on Pacific Highway.
American had a nonstop flight to Dallas and one to El Paso; aside from that, nonstop flights did not reach beyond California and Arizona.
Nonstop flights to Chicago started in 1962 and to New York in 1967.
San Diego International Airport (IATA: SAN, ICAO: KSAN, FAA LID: SAN), formerly known as Lindbergh Field, is an international airport 3 mi (4.8 km) northwest of Downtown San Diego, California, United States.
It is owned and operated by the San Diego County Regional Airport Authority. In 2015, traffic at San Diego International exceeded 20 million passengers, serving more than 500 scheduled operations carrying about 50,000 passengers each day.
In 1962 it was transferred to the San Diego Unified Port District by a state law.
The airport is now operated by the San Diego County Regional Airport Authority.
As downtown San Diego developed, the airport's 3600-ft second runway was closed as its short length provided no operational benefits other than to support the smallest of aircraft.