In order to fully understand the benefits and costs of premium intraocular lenses and other products and services that affect your cataract surgery cost, schedule a detailed consultation with your cataract surgeon well in advance of your surgery date.
Colorado accommodating iol area dating solutions rockford il
Recently, laser cataract surgery has been approved for use in the United States.
This procedure can also cost a bit more than standard cataract surgery.
In most cases, Medicare pays 80 percent of the approved cost of cataract surgery and you are responsible for the remaining 20 percent (the Medicare "copayment"), after meeting your annual deductible payment.
In 2013, the annual deductible for services covered by Medicare Part B is $147.
These policies often have a deductible that must be met before you receive the benefit of payment of your Medicare co-payment and other costs not covered by Medicare.
Medicare also helps cover the cost of one pair of eyeglasses with standard frames (or one set of contact lenses) after cataract surgery that includes IOL implantation.
Examples of presbyopia-correcting IOLs include accommodating IOLs, such as Crystalens, and multifocal IOLs (e.g., Re STOR, Re Zoom or Tecnis).
Medicare pays a significant portion of cataract surgery costs for seniors age 65 or older and other eligible Americans.
Like Medicare, medical policies sold by private insurance companies typically cover only cataract surgery services and related products and services that are considered "medically necessary." The extra cost of a premium IOL typically is not covered, so you must pay the added cost of the lens out-of-pocket.
Again, the same applies to laser cataract surgery; the additional cost is not covered by insurance.
Medigap policies help cover Medicare co-payments and other gaps in Medicare coverage.